Well, my oh my, it has been quite a while! This summer was a bit of a whirlwind. What started as a Harry Potter-induced blogging break turned into a much longer hiatus than I ever intended. And now here we are, in the middle of fall (my favorite season), and my life is changing as quickly as the leaves on the trees! So, here's a little catch-up on my life in the past several months before resuming (hopefully) regular posts! Highlights of the summer:
- Reading the entire Harry Potter series. I had never read the books or watched the movies before, so this was my very first foray into the great world of Harry Potter. Long story short, my life will never be the same. I love, love, loved it. Basically, I got nothing productive done while I read through the series (hence the no blogging), but it was totally worth it. I'm in love.
- I took a spur-of-the-moment, four-day trip to New York City the first week of July. It was such a nice getaway, and my Great Aunt and Uncle were kind enough to host me at their Upper West Side apartment. My days were filled with walking, museum visits, and one very incredible Broadway play, Lucky Guy. It was Nora Ephron's last work before she died last summer, starring Tom Hanks as a NYC journalist. So if you know me, this was basically a tear-inducing dream come true. Such a lovely trip!
- Two of my friends and I had an Anne of Green Gables tea party, full of straw hats, "raspberry cordial", cucumber sandwiches, apple pie and the Lily Maid. It was my very favorite day of the summer. There's nothing better than gathering with kindred spirits!
- I went camping a couple of times and worked on perfecting my fire-making skills. Among my accomplishments was starting a fire, on my own, with nothing but warm coals from an earlier fire. Let me tell you, that offers quite a feeling of independence and accomplishment.
- Finally, after a five-year quest, I found the best breakfast sandwich in the Twin Cities at Our Family Kitchen Diner. A South Minneapolis gem, this place makes a killer sausage, egg and cheese while being a in a perfectly charming building. Pure deliciousness.
- I spent the summer meeting with editors, interviewing for a real, big-girl magazine job, and increasing my freelance writing workload. Some things panned out, others didn't, but all of it made me a more confident writer and person.
- On that note, last week I worked my last shift at Dunn Bros, and I am now officially a full-time freelance writer + editor! I have been building up freelance work on the side, and last month I decided to take the risk and pursue it full time! I'll write more on my new ventures later!
So, it's been quite a defining couple of months in my life. I'm learning so much, and I'm so excited to be able to dedicate more of my time to writing. No longer am I in the post-college, what am I doing with my life, phase. I'm taking defining, definitive steps toward what I want, and feeling more clarity on the direction I'd like to move. It's scary and exciting and so fraught with possibilities! I'm looking forward to processing through all of that in this space, giving a glimpse at my journey. I'm so glad you're here to join me!
Photo from my Instagram.